All Things Lesbian Social Network Too!

Tuesday 10 March 2015

TV FANGIRL MOMENT OF THE MONTH: The 100 Lesbians

by Lauren W

Okay, okay, I know. I said that this new segment was going to be entitled "TV Fangirl Moment of the Week".

Well, everyone knows how bad a procrastinator I am. I can't help it; I've tried to stop, but when it comes to shirking your responsibilities (even if my responsibilities include to document my fangirling), you will find no one better.

So, I've decided to change the title to "Moment of the MONTH". I'm not gonna lie, it might be weekly, monthly... 23-daily, even. But "TV Fangirl Moment of the 23rd Day Since My Last Article" isn't catchy enough. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

ANYWAY. Here it is.


(Image Credit: lexa-the-commander @ Tumblr)

YES, YES, YES.

The 100 surprised everyone last week by making its lead female character bisexual.

Clarke (left, played by Eliza Taylor) is the show's leading lady and leader of the Sky People. (Don't ask, it's too difficult to explain unless you watch the damn thing). And the girl she's kissing (right, played by Alycia Debnam Carey) is the leader of the Grounders. (Again, don't ask).

My point is, they're two strong, powerful women with control over a ton of people... AND THEY'RE MAKING OUT. If this isn't fangirl-worthy I don't know what is.

This is also a massive step for gayness on television. The producers have confirmed that Clarke is indeed bisexual, making her the first leading bisexual character on any show. (I'm not including Orange Is The New Black here, as all of the gay and bisexual ladies in that show are arguably "the leading lady".) In any case, it's the first action-led TV show I've seen led by a bisexual character. (And I'm not including Lost Girl in this case either, as I class it as a fantasy show. So calm down.)

Anyway, up until this point, The 100 has been completely void of any LGBTQ characters. But now we gay ladies have something to get extremely excited about. Squee.

Did you see this milestone lesbian kiss happen? And what were your TV fangirl moments of the week/month/decade?

1 comment:

Beth & Ellie said...

Might have to give this a watch! All about dem strong females leads