All Things Lesbian Social Network Too!

Thursday 6 November 2008

Disappointed and enraged.

So as you probably all know, Proposition 8 (see previous blog entry) was passed this week on November 4th in California.

It's rare that I post a blog without humor or any sarcasm within it, but this is one exception. I am quite aggravated that the people in the state of California, which is widely known for being very liberal, this week abolished the rights of same sex marriage within its bord
ers.

Now I personally don't think I will ever get married. I could, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to. However, my gay twin brother - who I love more than anything - and I plan on moving to California in the next few years, and I'm just sad to think what will happen if this proposition is not over-turned by then. It was the other day that I realized that my brother (and my best friend) will not be able to marry the person he loves. Many of my friends were crying all day at the realization that they, and their friends, could no longer be joined in civil matrimony. I just don't understand why anyone would want to vote against love.

So I urge you, people of California, to do all you can for the 'No On Prop 8' campaign. Join protests, start rallies, raise money, raise awa
reness. Go to www.noonprop8.com to see exactly what you can do to help.

California, the state with the highest electoral vote count (55), could theoretically be classed as the most powerful state in the US for this reason. So please, all of you out there, fight for love. Show your new president exactly what you want: Equal human rights for same sex couples.

It's over to you.


No comments: